In a shock transfer, Bhupendrabhai Patel was on Sunday elected as the brand new chief minister of Gujarat. The essential resolution was taken at a gathering of BJP leaders in Gandhinagar whereby Patel was unanimously elected BJP legislature celebration chief. Patel gained the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Meeting elections from Ghatlodia constituency, defeating Congress candidate Shashikant Patel by over one lakh votes, the best profitable margin within the 2017 Gujarat polls.
Publish the announcement, Patel informed reporters that he was grateful to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP chief J P Nadda, and Union minister Amit Shah for the belief they reposed in him. He mentioned he was additionally grateful to the belief reposed in him by the Gujarat management, together with outgoing CM Vijay Rupani and Deputy CM Nitin Patel, C R Paatil and different leaders. He mentioned the blessing of former CM Anandiben Patel had been with him on a regular basis.
“The federal government has labored properly in order that growth reaches the final individual. We’ll plan anew and talk about with the organisation to take ahead the event works,” the brand new chief minister mentioned.
Patel will succeed Vijay Rupani, who resigned from his publish on Saturday, in a sudden announcement nearly a 12 months earlier than the state goes to polls. He met the governor Acharya Devvrat at Raj Bhavan late Sunday and staked declare to type the federal government. Patel might be sworn-in on Monday. The ceremony will start at 2.20 pm.
BJP had appointed Union ministers Narendra Singh Tomar and Prahlad Joshi as central observers for the legislature celebration assembly to elect the brand new chief minister. Tomar met state BJP chief C R Paatil on Sunday morning.
“Bhupendra Patel has been elected as the brand new chief of BJP legislative celebration. He might be sworn in because the Gujarat CM quickly,” Union Minister and BJP’s Gujarat in-charge Tomar mentioned after the celebration’s legislative assembly.
Rupani (65), the fourth chief minister to demit workplace in BJP-ruled states through the coronavirus pandemic, was sworn in as chief minister – his second stint as CM – in December 2017. He first turned the chief minister on August 7, 2016, following the resignation of incumbent Anandiben Patel, and continued within the workplace after the BJP’s victory within the 2017 Meeting elections.
Rupani mentioned Bhupendra Patel is “succesful” whereas exuding confidence of BJP’s win within the forthcoming meeting election.
“Bhupendra Patel is succesful. We imagine BJP will win the upcoming elections within the state below his management,” he mentioned.
Union Dwelling Minister Amit Shah congratulated Bhupendrabhai Patel and hoped that the state’s growth journey will get new vitality and momentum with this resolution.
NITIN PATEL MISSES THE BUS AGAIN?
Deputy CM Nitin Patel, who has as soon as once more missed the bus, mentioned he has seen many ups and downs, and asserted that no person can “throw him out” as he lives in individuals’s coronary heart. Patel, whereas addressing individuals throughout a operate in Mehsana city on Sunday night, additionally mentioned in a lighter vein that he was not the one one who had missed the bus as there have been “many others” like him.
There was hypothesis that he was sad after Bhupendra Patel was chosen as the subsequent chief minister in a gathering of BJP MLAs on the celebration headquarters ‘Kamalam’ in Gandhinagar on Sunday, a day after Vijay Rupani tendered his resignation from the highest publish. Earlier than that, Nitin Patel, who represents Mehsana Meeting constituency, was being seen as one of many prime contenders for the publish. Nevertheless, Patel mentioned there was no substance in such claims.
A LOOK AT BHUPENDRABHAI PATEL’S PROFILE
- He’s a first-time MLA from Ghatlodia seat, which was earlier held by Anandiben Patel.
- Fondly referred to as ‘Dada’ by many (Rupani known as ‘Bhai’), Patel is taken into account near former Gujarat chief minister and current Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel. His Meeting constituency is a part of the Gandhinagar Lok Sabha seat represented by Union minister Amit Shah.
- Earlier, Bhupendrabhai Patel served as a municipal councillor in Ahmedabad. He has served because the chairman of Ahmedabad City Growth Authority (AUDA) and used to move the Ahmedabad Municipal Company standing committee.
- He holds a diploma in civil engineering.
- In accordance with a political observor, Bhupendra Patel’s title was not within the lengthy checklist of probables being mentioned in state political circles and in a approach the primary time period MLA emerged because the darkish horse.
- He belongs to the influential Patel neighborhood.
- Patel has by no means held a ministerial publish, identical to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was by no means a minister when he turned Gujarat CM 20 years in the past. Modi was sworn in as CM on October 7, 2001, and have become an MLA on February 24, 2002, by profitable the Rajkot seat bypoll.
- A soft-spoken chief, Patel has had a meteoric rise in state politics, beginning on the municipality stage. He contested his maiden Meeting election in 2017 and gained Ghatlodia constituency in Ahmedabad by over 1.17 lakh votes, the best victory margin within the state throughout that election.
READ MORE: Vijay Rupani resigned voluntarily